Terms & Conditions
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER THE SCRUB UP ON SCIENCE COMPETITION ("the Competition")
- These are the rules ('Official Rules') that apply to the Competition, which is hosted on scrubuponscience.co.uk/competition/. If you do not comply with the Official Rules, you may be disqualified from the Competition without further notice.
- Teachers ('You') must read these Official Rules before entering the Competition on behalf of your students. False or deceptive entries or acts will render an entry ineligible.
- By entering the Competition, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and all decisions of the Society of Cosmetic Scientists (‘SCS’).
- SCS reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or the Official Rules without notice in the event of unforeseen circumstances outside SCS’ reasonable control. Any changes will be posted within these General Rules and/or on the Scrub Up On Science website.
- Entries must be submitted by a teacher employed by a UK school.
- Teachers must register on the Scrub Up On Science website to enter their students into the competition.
- This Competition is open to teams of 2 to 4 people. Each individual in a team must:
- be resident in the UK at all times during the Competition and the time of fulfilment of the prize
- be aged 11 or over on 1 October 2018 and they must be 16 or under on 26 April 2019
- not have a parent or carer who is an employee of EdComs Ltd or anyone else professionally connected with the Competition.
- You may submit entries for multiple teams per school.
- The judges will not allow any more than two teams from the same school into the final.
- Entrants may only enter the Competition once each year, as part of one team.
- SCS may require you to provide proof that you are eligible and the authorised account holder of the e-mail addresses used to enter the Competition.
- If you fail to provide all required information your students' entries may be disqualified.
- SCS undertakes to use reasonable efforts to maintain adequate e-mail, internet and other communication links but is not otherwise responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, incomplete or unintelligible entries; problems arising from users’ electronic devices; undelivered notifications; other user errors.
- Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
- If your students are disqualified, SCS is under no obligation to publish this fact on the Scrub Up On Science website or anywhere else.
- By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete to the best of your knowledge. SCS reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entries.
- The contact details you provide with your Competition entry will be used to notify you of any prizes so please make sure they are correct.
- All entries must be submitted by a teacher in the name of a team consisting of 2 to 4 individuals who are each eligible to enter under these General Rules. The prize can only be awarded to the team and individuals whose details are submitted on the relevant entry form.
- You can enter online by completing the registration process outlined on Competition page. SCS will be under no obligation to send a confirmation email acknowledging receipt of any entry.
- Entries to the Competition can be submitted at any time from the dates stipulated on the website up to 23:59 GMT on the deadline date.
- Each member of the teams selected as finalists will be invited to the finalists’ event held on a date and venue to be decided in the UK each year. Each team must be accompanied by one supporting adult (you or another teacher). Full details of what finalists will do during the finalists’ event will be announced closer to the final.
- The winning team will win the Scrub Up On Science award, be given the title of Young Cosmetic Scientists of the Year, 2019, and wherever possible be given an opportunity to see cosmetic scientists in action to help you bring the reality of real-world science to life.
- SCS will cover reasonable travel costs from any location within the UK to the chosen venue for all team members and one supporting adult. Train travel must be standard class. The SCS Committee will have final authorisation of all travel costs.
- All taxes, insurances, spending money and other expenses, unless specifically stated, are the sole responsibility of the finalists.
- Some elements of the prize actually awarded may differ from those listed above. However, in such circumstances SCS will make every effort to ensure alternative prizes are of equivalent value.
- The prize is non-transferable.
How to win
- The Competition will be run in two stages:
- Preliminary judging - all valid entries will be considered by a committee of SCS members who will decide upon the finalists.
- Final judging - all entrants selected as finalists will be invited to the Final Event where one winning team will be selected by a panel of judges formed of members from the Society of Cosmetic Scientists, representing different areas of the industry.
Entries will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Excellence of scientific method – do you fully understand the chemical explanation that makes the science work for your product and have you shown this in your video/PowerPoint?
- Hypothesis – have you proved or disproved one?
- Communication skills - can you explain your work clearly, confidently and in a way that inspires others? Have you delivered an engaging and original video/PowerPoint?
- Creativity – have you come up with some great creative ideas to make your bath bomb or bubble bath bubble challenge appealing to your intended audience?
- Passion for Science - does your enthusiasm shine through?
- If at any stage in the Competition a winning team is disqualified from the Competition or all members of a winning team decline or fail to properly claim their prize, or cannot be traced or contacted after reasonable efforts have been made by SCS, that winning team will forego the right to progress to the next stage or claim the prize.
- In order to qualify as a finalist, at least two team members and one supporting adult must be able to attend the Final Event.
- You must supply SCS with consent forms signed by a parent or carer for all team members who plan to attend the Final Event, and these must be received prior to the event itself. If at least one team member does not submit a consent form, that team will not be allowed to compete.
- Finalists' first names and school names may be included on the Scrub Up On Science website.
- Photographs/Filming will be undertaken by the Society and used only for the purposes of promoting Scrub up on Science in SCS literature, SCS website and any other media used by the Society.